Sunday, April 03, 2005

Spirituali-tea


Pope John Paul 2 has passed away. A Christian, but not a Catholic, I feel how great a loss the world has suffered. "Have no fear" were his words when he returned to -then communist- Poland. Since then, the people of East Europe (some I am directly related to) have recovered their freedom. Thank you.

Now that I live in Taiwan, I am concerned with the fate of -still communist- China. It does not have a large catholic community like Poland, but its leaders had recognized the Pope's threat to their power and never allowed him to travel there. I just had an idea while drinking lightly fermented oolong from Lugu: maybe will the Catholic church select a Chinese Pope who can bring the same message of hope and faith to China... or may they choose a Pope who speaks Chinese!

No comments: